Fireman's corner

Darby

Well, after watching DHR's tutorial on "how to impress and make friends" i thought i'd throw something a little different out there. Story time boys and girls.......

What I saw last week. We get lots of roll overs during these little snow storms. Most are non injury but there's a couple every morning it seems. I work Interstate 90 from exit 22 all the way up to Snoqualmie Summit for the big grinders. Over the years I've seen lots of things, I call it the "death corridor" from mile post 22 through 38. Horrible roll overs with ejections and multi system trauma blah blah blah. But what I heard over the radio last week even sent chills down my spine.

dispatch, "motor vehicle accident, female with arm trapped in a chain and complete degloving of arm with bones exposed, patient is concious." Do I need to even explain what degloving means, I'm sure you can figure out that term? Gross! The fact that she is concious as opposed to knocked out some how made it worse in my mind. Even my salty Lt was like "oh no!" And as luck would have it, we were going to be the first on scene. I even felt anxious on the way there knowing what I was about see.

Few inch's of snow on the ground. This gal was taking tire chains off of her 18 wheeler safely pulled off on the shoulder of the exit. Reach's around and under the front of her dually to unhook the inside of the chains and, SLAM! Another 18 wheeler struck her truck from behind and rolled her truck forward onto her arm wrapping it in the chains and pulling it under the tire. The truck sat on her arm for what I'm sure seemed like an eternity before another driver could run up and pull her truck off of her arm :eeek:

Can you imagine having a big rig parked on your arm? Poor gal. I've seen an arm pulled through an augger, I've seen plenty of severed arms but never a crushed arm thats still atatched to some poor concious lady. It was a pretty serious accident. Due to budget constraints we only have 2 firemen on duty so that means you have your hands full at a scene like this. Some poor state tropper had to get his hands dirty with me and help me cut her jacket and glove off. Bits of meet stuck to the glove. The look on the troopers face and the stark contrast of all that blood on the snow really added to the horror. It was BAD.

I feel better now that I shared though. I must be vague to the extent of her injuries and some details becuase of privacy. I felt really bad for her though. She was sooo tough through the hole ordeal. She hadn't done anything wrong either which is why it seemed so tragic. Those are the worst, when some inocent gets struck down through no fault of their own. I don't have to carry any scars for the drunk who kills himself or the suicide who chucks themselves over the falls.

Drive safe

if you like, I can tell another story next week. maybe we can all gleme something from the tragities that go on out there

Bunk

That nice azzhole
My dad always had good stories, But ya had to pry em out as he didnt like to bring work home.

I bet yer heart is in good shape with all the ups and downs during your workday

spidertoy

Mod dude....
my dad was a firefighter in san fransisco, and also in bellevue, he never told us horror stories as kids, the worst one that he finally told us was when he had to carry a four year old out of a building... I could understand why he never told that story to us after he finally revealed the horror

spidertoy

Mod dude....
and yeah that would be tough, hope that you can just remember that you were helping, and making things better

Darby

My dad always had good stories, But ya had to pry em out as he didnt like to bring work home.

I bet yer heart is in good shape with all the ups and downs during your workday

When I started I told stories all the time. It was like i needed to test myself and see how I could handle a dead body or whatever. A couple years back I saw something I didn't like, since then I feel like I've seen enough. I handle it fine but like your Dad, I don't tell stories to my family anymore either.

crash

-Oh no I picked a side-
I just could not handle that type of stuff. To this day what happened to my little boy still scares me and thats been a few years.

You type of guys have more gut than I do.

Darby

I just could not handle that type of stuff. To this day what happened to my little boy still scares me and thats been a few years.

You type of guys have more gut than I do.

When stuff happens to children, it scares the hell out of me too. I fear having to ever do infant CPR. I have dodged that bullet, so thankfull!

Money Mark

I can honestly say I feel safer with you in the group Darby. One of my worst wheeling fears has always been someone getting seriously hurt in the group and not knowing how to properly adrress the injured.

And I do like stories....so at the next safety meeting, feel free to share.:cool:

Nuzzy

The worst one I've been a part of was having to drive a guy off Moab Rim trail and down to the hospital after he got the tips of his fingers ripped off. Reached up and grabbed the cage which normally sat flush with the windshield frame but had pulled away due to flex on the obstacle.

I guess I did see a guys hand pulled into a winch but not up close. Neither is ANYTHING like the stuff I'm sure you have seen! :shudder::cringe:

Trainwreckinseattle

mr tool shed
I was first on scene to a high speed "racing" accident quite a few years ago now. 4 people in a Acura Integra. They flew past me like I was standing still on I-5 north at about 2:45 am. We were pretty much alone on the freeway. As the Acura and the other car reached the Lake City exit the Acura lost control somehow and managed to hit the Bridge support column. The rear passenger had been Ejected out of the rear side "triangle" window. She was laying in the middle of the road dead. The front passenger had hit his head on the column and was dead.

The car spun, continued and finialy stoped on the side of the road in the grass. The car and grass was on fire when I finally drove up. When I got there the driver was trying to open the door and it wouldn't open. I ended up punching it breaking my little pinky finger and the window. Another guy who stoped and I pulled the 3 people out of the car which burned to the ground.

Out of all that I was in shock it took a long time before I would drive. Most of it was a blurr. But I clearly remember them just coldly hosing off the freeway of all the blood from the lady who was ejected from the "triangle" window.

I don't know how you guys do that shit every day:puke::booo:

I have a lot of repect for Fire, Rescue, and Police. :awesomework:

Darby

I was first on scene to a high speed "racing" accident quite a few years ago now. 4 people in a Acura Integra. They flew past me like I was standing still on I-5 north at about 2:45 am. We were pretty much alone on the freeway. As the Acura and the other car reached the Lake City exit the Acura lost control somehow and managed to hit the Bridge support column. The rear passenger had been Ejected out of the rear side "triangle" window. She was laying in the middle of the road dead. The front passenger had hit his head on the column and was dead.

The car spun, continued and finialy stoped on the side of the road in the grass. The car and grass was on fire when I finally drove up. When I got there the driver was trying to open the door and it wouldn't open. I ended up punching it breaking my little pinky finger and the window. Another guy who stoped and I pulled the 3 people out of the car which burned to the ground.

Out of all that I was in shock it took a long time before I would drive. Most of it was a blurr. But I clearly remember them just coldly hosing off the freeway of all the blood from the lady who was ejected from the "triangle" window.

I don't know how you guys do that shit every day:puke::booo:

I have a lot of repect for Fire, Rescue, and Police. :awesomework:

That sounds pretty bad. It's great that you were able to be Johnny on the spot though and pull them from the burning wreckage.

Oh, and when we hose down the road it's called a "wash down". Sometimes we get dispatched to a scene hours after a bad wreck. They call us out for a "wash down". Can't just leave all the potentialy infectious material all over the roadway.

Think about the poor tow truck drivers. They get it bad too, AND they have to haul away the biohazard car when it's all over. We don't wash the cars off.

Trainwreckinseattle

mr tool shed
yeah by that time one lane was open. So cars were driving through the blood water. splashing it onto the windshield of the car behind them. :puke: And as you know it took a long time before the car was really ON FIRE and burned. But once it went it only took a couple minutes to be fully on fire !!!

I have been unlucky enough to be first or second in a lot of accidents but that thank god that is the only one where anyone was seriously hurt. But your brain turns off and instinct turns on.

I also keep fire extinguishers in my car now. I have actually put out 2 carburated Fords. But I didn't get there in time to save a Jeep Grand Cherokee that proved too much for my two little extinguishers.

One thing I know, is shit happens and people are woefully unprepared:booo:

toyman2

we probley dont see as much as you do,but we awalys have a debrief after a major incident.
i havent been a fire fighter long(volinteer) but its been long enough to see some pretty bad stuff.
my first car wreck was a couple of 17YO kids been drinkin and making out and on there way down some how lost controll,he wasnt belted in and was ejected,degloved hand,also broken,broken femor,and a brain bleed,the girl was in shock but pretty much untouched and was also belted in.
we figured they rolled about 5 times.
the worst is the minivan was in a ditch and we had to lift it to get it off of him
which ment having fire fighters/EMTs in harms way.

sorry for the spelling.
heres a good sight for you,im sure you already know of http://www.firehouse.com/

Trainwreckinseattle

mr tool shed
I also love how everyone was yelling to get away from the car cuz it was GOING TO EXPLODE:rolleyes: cars don't explode they make a sweet woosh sound and kinda flair up when the gas tank goes. Thats it:eeek:

RCYJ

my girlfriends dad is a full time p.m/ff at lake stevins and volunteer arlington heights i have been on a couple calls with him nothing as bad as a search and rescue call. we had a guy go over a cliff ejected at 150 feet and the bronco at the bottom of the ravine. turns out it was my room mates managers son. some times i see my girlfriends dad on s.a.r. calls though doing ems after extractions. it is something to laugh about after dealing with some rough things.
thanks to the men and women who put there safety on the line so that others may live!
p.s. darby keep the story's comin, along with every one else who has experiences we can all learn something, and those who do experience something you will feel better after you share. im sure darby and others will agree.

Last edited:

Pat

I can honestly say I feel safer with you in the group Darby. One of my worst wheeling fears has always been someone getting seriously hurt in the group and not knowing how to properly adrress the injured.

And I do like stories....so at the next safety meeting, feel free to share.:cool:

X2 :cool:

Latest posts