I-1125 Info Thread

japerry

There was discussion regarding potential impacts of I-1125 on NOVA funding. After some further review, and checking with the AGs office, DNR, and Eyman, it looks like NOVA funds will be in the clear if I-1125 passes.

For the 4x4 user, I-1125 doesn't really affect us negatively or positively.

As for my personal view -- I'm torn. I think we need light-rail to the east side, but I don't want it to come at a cost to bridge users. On the otherhand, its not really fair to demand a gas tax on the state so seattlites can have mass-transit.

Its too bad the upfront costs to build the infrastructure would make the ride fare too expensive.

But as for tolls and gas tax money... this should goto roads and cars. If King Co wants a light rail system, then let them pass a bill to do that. Oh wait they did :awesomework:

Last edited:

Travis

As long as there are cheap bastards that think everything should be given to them for free we will have Tim "Cocksucker" Eyeman and his like.

I don't see this one as a cheap bastard intiative.

It's more of a "spend the tax money where the tax money is collected" type bill. gas tax = transportation projects/maintenance, NOT Gregoire's caviar dinner.

I do take issue with the non-highway part. Given how the rest of the initiative is written, they may have just been trying to convey that gas tax and toll money isn't going to get to go to Gregoire's dinner bill.

japerry

I do take issue with the non-highway part. Given how the rest of the initiative is written, they may have just been trying to convey that gas tax and toll money isn't going to get to go to Gregoire's dinner bill.

No. Thats NOT what this bill is about. This bill is about making sure that Gas tax money does not go to mass transit aka light rail or any of its associated improvements. The 18th amendment already requires that fuel be set aside to its own budget.

Want to do i-90 light rail with i-90 tolls? Nope.
What to do hwy-520 light rail with tolls? Nope.

While I agree that gas tax money should be used for transportation and related motorized needs, this bill is specifically trying to cut out any other transportation use other than building more roads.

I just wish budgeting could be clearly laid out in a common sense fashion. But common sense goes out the door when competing political interests want a piece of the pie.

I for one wonder if we should get rid of the NOVA fund altogether and go back to a tax refund for ORVs... Because you have to remember, this initiative is being spearheaded by conservatives and our last taking were from liberals.

japerry

Bump. a reminder for all to look into this issue and VOTE come November. This bill spells trouble for NOVA funds!

crash

-Oh no I picked a side-
Thanks for the heads up Jacob. When we get near election let me know and I will make sure the "whole" forum knows about this :awesomework:

Travis

No. Thats NOT what this bill is about. This bill is about making sure that Gas tax money does not go to mass transit aka light rail or any of its associated improvements. The 18th amendment already requires that fuel be set aside to its own budget.

Want to do i-90 light rail with i-90 tolls? Nope.
What to do hwy-520 light rail with tolls? Nope.

While I agree that gas tax money should be used for transportation and related motorized needs, this bill is specifically trying to cut out any other transportation use other than building more roads.

I just wish budgeting could be clearly laid out in a common sense fashion. But common sense goes out the door when competing political interests want a piece of the pie.

I for one wonder if we should get rid of the NOVA fund altogether and go back to a tax refund for ORVs... Because you have to remember, this initiative is being spearheaded by conservatives and our last taking were from liberals.

There was some sarcasm in my post, but some reality behind it as well. Our politicians can take money from gas taxes, and buy their dinner with it, even if it's "against the law".

Gregoire needs $20 for dinner, but her dinner budget is $0. She sees the gas tax has $20 to snag, but she's not allowed to do that.

Take $20 from petty cash
Petty cash takes $20 from secretaries fund
Secretary takes $20 from general fund
general fund takes $20 from additional highway funds
Highway funds takes $20 from gas tax

Tadaa... they just successfully laundered money from an account that they weren't allowed to take it from for what they wanted it for.

Fordzuki

Zuk Hoarder
http://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/initiatives/text/i1125.pdf
NEW SECTION. Sec. 3. State government, the department of
transportation, and other agencies may not transfer or use gas-tax- funded or toll-funded lanes on state highways for non-highway purposes.

Read this very carefully.
It says that state government cannot use gas tax funded lanes on state highways for non highway purposes... It doesn't say anything about using the funds. :corn:

Tod

The root of the potential problem seems to be the title of Section 2 and the body of that section are somewhat different.

The title states:

crash

-Oh no I picked a side-
..... well talk about "special interest" and not looking at the big picture. More research will be needed on this one (at least for me).

Thats fine some of us want to protect what we have.

So if we spend countless hours and our own $$ for our sport for the cause of simply trying to make our areas better--does that also make us special interests?

Tod

If the NOVA fund thing (and/or Tim Eyman) were the ONLY reasons you would have voted against this one..... well talk about "special interest" and not looking at the big picture. More research will be needed on this one (at least for me).

There is no denying that my input on this is as a representative of a "special interest".

I represent the Washington Off Highway Vehicle Alliance and the Northwest Motorcycle Association. Both organizations are dedicated to protecting the "special interest" of ORV use in the State of Washington and not the "big picture".

That said, I personally support the intent of this initative.

Vote what is right for you and what is right in your big picture :awesomework:

Mark m.

There is no denying that my input on this is as a representative of a "special interest".

I represent the Washington Off Highway Vehicle Alliance and the Northwest Motorcycle Association. Both organizations are dedicated to protecting the "special interest" of ORV use in the State of Washington and not the "big picture".

That said, I personally support the intent of this initative.

Vote what is right for you and what is right in your big picture :awesomework:
:awesomework:

japerry

Thanks for that update Tod.

I'm also checking with Mark Mauren to see if DNR has gotten any heads up about potential impacts of this bill. Its good to hear that the designation may keep NOVA in the clear.

Edit: As I said in the opening remarks, I as well support the intent of this measure. However if it does put NOVA funds at risk, I will not be voting for it. It is special interest, but when I spend the majority of my free-time at places that depend on those funds, I'm going to be single-minded.

I don't want 2009 repeating itself. If it doesn't I'm all good on this bill.

Last edited:

japerry

Just got word from Mark Mauren himself. This bill will NOT affect NOVA funds.

Sorry for the scare. Hmm so yah I guess I'll probably be voting yes on this =P

I updated the thread title.. Mike can you change it?

Last edited:

Tod

Just got word from Mark Mauren himself. This bill will NOT affect NOVA funds.

Sorry for the scare. Hmm so yah I guess I'll probably be voting yes on this =P

I updated the thread title.. Mike can you change it?

Remember that Mark is a nice guy and an important guy at the DNR, but he is not a legal expert, especially on issues well outside the DNR.

Nobody can tell how future Legislatures will read this.
For now all have to hang our hat on is the informal Attorney General opinion that I requested.

Latest posts