What is freedom?

cisco

I'm curious what people think freedom is. Sometimes I wonder if we really even know. We are all directed this way and that by legislation, news stories, marketing, family, peers etc.

My daughter is almost 5 and over the last couple years we have read and re read the Laura Ingalls Wilder books (little house on the prairie series). For those who don't know, she chronicles her own personal history of being a pioneer / homesteader during a brief moment in our history when a person could live by their own means not subject to much legislation, bureaucracy, society etc.

cisco

Which laws in particular are the most oppressive?

When I go places where there are fewer laws it definitely feels more free. Those places also don't seem to function at the same level of infrastructure, commerce etc as the US.

When visiting Baja a couple Mexican guys doubling on a dirt bike, passed me while riding a wheelie at 50 down the highway with no helmets and flip flops. I'm pretty sure no law enforcement down there would write them a ticket.

toyodaaddict

Being required to take a certified class, permanently waive HIPPA rights and be subject to yearly background checks forever, in order to purchase a hand gun or semi auto rifle is not freedom.

Being RED FLAGGED and having your firearms confiscated without being charged with a crime and without due processes, is not freedom. This seems to be a regular thing now.

TrikeKid

Taxation.

Taxation is definitely the one that reaches into every little part of your life. I have a piece of property in Montana that I own outright, except for you know if I neglect to flip Missoula county their taxes every year, then they take and sell "my" property.

POR

Having your public lands gated and then given back to you in prescribed doses is not freedom.

Don't forget all the voluntary hours of maintaining "your" land so you can earn a free pass to access "your" land.. all so trees can be harvested easier lol

crash

-Oh no I picked a side-
Don't forget all the voluntary hours of maintaining "your" land so you can earn a free pass to access "your" land.. all so trees can be harvested easier lol

I don't do it for a free pass--I do it so the quality of what we have stays. As for them being able to get tree's "easier" I disagree because they simply build roads to gain access to what is needed.

TreeClimber

NW-Wheeler Club
Cisco asked, what was the MOST oppressive.
Choppy replied, there is no easy answer.
I countered, the easy answer is Taxes.

With Taxes, whether they be Property Taxes, Income Taxes, Sales Taxes, Use Taxes, B&O Taxes doesn't matter. Whether it's Taxes in 1776 on Tea, causing the Revolutionary War, or Taxes in 2020 paying for Bernie's Free Stuff doesn't matter.

The whole concept of Taxation, means that your individual work is no longer your own. You must now Share your efforts with another, against your will.

And that truly is the easiest answer as to the most oppressive laws that limit freedom. We allow it to happen as having a peaceful society is worth it to most of us. Roads, Police, Fire Dept., a Military Force providing international security, is all paid for by you and I, by the simple word, Taxes.

crash

-Oh no I picked a side-
I can only see taxes as being oppressive to those who don't have allot of $$. Those with $$ don't care about taxes and do as they want...

CHOP SHOP

I can only see taxes as being oppressive to those who don't have allot of $$. Those with $$ don't care about taxes and do as they want...

Those who don't have allot of money hardly pay any taxes.

Get some money and assets and see how much MORE you care bout taxes.

Taxes affect the freedom to choose for some consumers. I am reluctant to buy the house and property I WANT because the taxes are so high.

I put TONS of thought into what I buy because of use tax, sales tax, property tax, (those of you in the RTA) tabs, Etc.

So taxes affect my freedom of CHOICE as a consumer.

But oppression is typically associated with lifestyle/actions/activity freedoms.

The OPs question is a very loaded one that has MANY answers and many facets.

cisco

One aspect of the property tax one that really chaps me is this very scenario that I have personal experience with. I bought a run down property in a semi rundown area. I busted my ass to fix it up and intern improved the neighborhood. The city came along and took a look and said "Wow! This looks great, you are now going to have to pay more in taxes." WTF.

Chopy, I deleted my FB account and posted a wide open question on a superior platform to get some dialogue going. I cant stand the mindless reposting of propaganda and idiot memes on social media. I hope more people follow suit deleting FB accounts and come back to non profit community boards where every click isn't fed back into corporate marketing machines.

Last edited: