Should we close the forum?

Should we close the site?

• No, I'd like to see where it could go.

Votes: 101 64.3%
  • Yes it should die in a fiery crash.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 46 29.3%

• Total voters

Lucas

... forums are the superior format for this stuff/tech/trip reports/etc. and i think that as reddit implodes and facebook continues to decline, forums that can string along are poised to do well, or at very least, better
^^This

Finding, learning, and more importantly, discussing tech is what makes forums great. fakebook and instagram and such is just about the moral boost. Yeah, there's some cool shit posted on there, but that's it, its just posted with a picture. Not much discussion about what was done, how it was done, or why it was done a certain way.

I'm not a fan of fakebook and the like, never joined any of them. I'll stick to lurking on forums, Granted, haven't logged in here in a long time. But would like to see it hang on if it can. Irate4x4 seems to be off to a decent start, and there are forums in other "hobbies" that are doing well. Like someone else mentioned, SXS forums seem to be doing well, maybe try to get some of that going here.

4xrick

I hate bookface.
i miss the forums and dont get on as much as i wish i could as running a business takes up most of my time.
I met a lot of good people over the years on this and other forums.
I have not been out on a trail in my rig in 89 years.
look forward to the day I will again.

Blackbeard

Administrator
I think it's great that people want to keep the site up. Hope we can keep folks checking in on us and making a post or two even if it's off topic.

the4x4pig

I think this site would grow again if we could get some runs/ trips organized so folks could get to know each other. Or encourage some local clubs to come aboard. It’s a local PNW forum and will only survive if the members have a good reason to visit a local forum. We are small, if I need tech info, I rarely look here. I go where there is a larger knowledge pool.
I do come here for local deals and would communicate here more if I got to know some folks on here personally.

just my humble opinion.

POR

I think this site would grow again if we could get some runs/ trips organized so folks could get to know each other. Or encourage some local clubs to come aboard. It’s a local PNW forum and will only survive if the members have a good reason to visit a local forum. We are small, if I need tech info, I rarely look here. I go where there is a larger knowledge pool.
I do come here for local deals and would communicate here more if I got to know some folks on here personally.

just my humble opinion.
Makes me wonder actually how many people on here actually wheel?.. what's the avg age of user on here late 30's 40's?
Most of our age group is settled into their friend groups and all the team send it fags are doing it for the "gram" so I don't really see any runs going on from here.. there used to be a guy on here all the time asking but noone ever replied to him. I feel we should have a bunch of build threads since most people our age are still buying and building not trying to trade our way to the top. I do notice most people have projects but wont post cuz it's a leaf sprung 44 build with old school sbc stuff not links ori's and ls.. I always found trolling the maintenance the trails to hwy's crowd very fun and I think we need more of those posts.. lol that gets people fired up hahaha

CHOP SHOP

Makes me wonder actually how many people on here actually wheel?.. what's the avg age of user on here late 30's 40's?
Most of our age group is settled into their friend groups and all the team send it fags are doing it for the "gram" so I don't really see any runs going on from here.. there used to be a guy on here all the time asking but noone ever replied to him. I feel we should have a bunch of build threads since most people our age are still buying and building not trying to trade our way to the top. I do notice most people have projects but wont post cuz it's a leaf sprung 44 build with old school sbc stuff not links ori's and ls.. I always found trolling the maintenance the trails to hwy's crowd very fun and I think we need more of those posts.. lol that gets people fired up hahaha
Thats Steve with the fj40. I took the wifes tj and ran up the wagon trail with him.

Nice fella.

junkyard jim

I hate bookface.
i miss the forums and dont get on as much as i wish i could as running a business takes up most of my time.
I met a lot of good people over the years on this and other forums.
I have not been out on a trail in my rig in 89 years.
look forward to the day I will again.
Bookfarts

cougarfix

I can't stand Facebook! It is to popular and is now getting a lot of attention from hackers and fraudulent activity. We as a community need to encourage our brothers and sisters to come back to our Hobby specific forms Facebook sucks when you looking for something specific you don't want to deal with all the idiots fraction of crap just good people and that's what we need to encourage I say do not close the Forum I say Word of Mouth get it out to anyone you seal in a four-wheel drive that is not a pavement pounder

Bustin Loose

I came to the 4x4 forums because they had tech I needed outside of wheeling which I couldn't afford to do. I spent a great 8 years or so learning from the "old timers" and was thrilled that there were places that stored this kind of information. No longer was it a situation where someone died and the information left with them. But my rig is my van so I end up at Ford Truck Enthusiasts most often for that.

But over time as people got to know me I started to get attacked which I kind of expected but didn't do anything about because it wasn't worth it, until it spilled over into tech threads and a Christmas secret Santa exchange. I just decided it wasn't worth it anymore. I'm grateful to NWW for not being overtly judgmental and no attempts to pigeonhole me occurred here but I didn't want that kind of taint following me either. I didn't get as much info here but it was still a safe haven of sorts to discuss things with other motor heads.

That's why it should be saved,

Yes, FB, Instagram and YT are all more popular than old timey discussion boards. But the discussion boards staying alive have integrated those applications so that they take advantage of the crossover. Someone sees an interesting idea, concept or info they were looking for, need more info and then are here at the forums. They get the added benefit of not having to weed through irrelevant bullshit and can get right to what matters. Information speed means everything these days. Many just haven't realized yet that it takes just as much time or more to weed through BS than it does to log in here and get to what matters right away. No phone is big enough to expand that pic someone needs to see something small.

As a regional board its a disadvantage in some ways and excellent in others. You do cater to a select crowd rather than just everyone in general, at least when it comes to the environment you wheel in but it can be used for outsiders to visit and enjoy because you KNOW the area. Until the covid cooties dissipate everyone is suffering hardship. This is the perfect time to reflect on what actually matters. How can you attract more members? Are there enough people interested in being roving reporters of sorts and post articles on their wheeling trips with pics? Not the little blurb of "yeah I went to X this weekend and here's a hold my beer moment". They need more meat. WHO can go there, WHY should I go there, WHAT is there, what can I do there and what do I need to do it. Like a color glossy brochure for the world to read.

Addressing the loss of old timers and attracting new blood. This is a hard one but not impossible. Lots of old timers moved on. Find out why. I mostly see that they don't wheel anymore. Since that doesn't fit in with a wheeling centered board it doesn't give them much incentive to stay, but doesn't mean that all of them stopped turning wrenches. You do have excellent "other" topics that aren't 4x4 only so there's some meat but how to make it appear relevant to the FB crowd as well as retention?

When the cooties are over(or if there is a group of you that know each other is "safe") is it possible to have something like a quarterly get together where a topic is taught? I don't learn from reading, I need to "see" it happen. Record it and post it to YT and FB with links back to here. Rebuild that Dana, do a compression test, adjust those air bags. Yes I know, lots of videos on YT. But are they of you and your buddies, people that are relatable? Is it good quality instruction free of dumbassery(unless its an important/common mistake that should be addressed on how to avoid)? IOW, is it in a high tech shop that no one will ever be able to afford, or someone's decently organized garage that is more within reach? An active appearing board attracts new blood and helps old folks to stick around.

Someone mentioned that everyone has a hand in the slow death of the board and that is true. However, it doesn't mean it has to remain this way. Who would be willing to step up and knock off the dust? What topics motivate you now that might be interesting to a diverse crowd that also wheels? Diversity is HUGE these days. Many different kinds of people wheel, there isn't just a certain set. The only way wheeling will survive and boards like this as well is to shed the stereotypes. For example, I'm very progressive as well as being very vocal in defending 2A. What's the one thing people want to discuss with me first at a 2A gathering of some sort? It isn't how we protect 2A. They want to make me responsible for the liberal nutjob gun grabbers. You wont find me on the NRA site but I will be on Liberal Gun Owners. Not every wheeler is obvious or conservative. I'm not only a hippie tree hugger but I also recognize that off road recreation is just as important and believe both can be symbiotic. Will you welcome non-conservative wheelers that want to save Reiter as much as you do?

A couple other people mentioned the annual happy birthday they get. I'm mostly alone so that electronically scheduled birthday greeting I get, while technologically based, is always the first of a very few I get. It makes me feel not so alone. Others mentioned they forgot about being members until your request was sent. Send out a monthly newsletter to remind people you exist.

Lastly, this board started out as a small group of friends with a common bond which meant a few posts here and there and maybe some pics. No one can predict the future but it grew bigger. Technology has moved us on but we haven't kept up. What are your thresholds for membership and activity? What would you be okay with? This is where patience comes in. It takes years, are you willing?

TLDR: Keep NWW alive, integrate newer tech such as FB, YT. Try to make things more relevant AND diverse so the "old folks" have something to stick around for thus passing on thier knowledge, as well as attracting new blood. Ask volunteers to create more meaty content. Send out a monthly email. Decide if having a small freinds board like it was in the beginning is okay again now or by what perimeters would you call it a day and turn off the lights. Facebook sucks more than a dusty old bag vacuum.

Last edited:

cypherzion751

I would hate to see the site go because forums are really where the technical side of this hobby thrives. While it is cool to see all those hyper edited photos from FB and IG, it sort of feels like a surface level race to see who can have the coolest photo. To me one of the coolest parts is to see people work on their projects and see how its done. I'm not quite at a point where I can buy another rig for a while but I have been working on it. Idk how hard it would be but I think one thing that might help would be to have a standalone app since most people like the convenience instead of dealing with an internet browser. I also didnt realize how bad of a lurker I was on here until I saw I only had 3 posts even when I used to actively look at the site XD

Trainwreckinseattle

mr tool shed
Chop sait it very well..

I'd add... A charismatic leader is needed. That is local, very inclusive, pours energy and life into the sport first, the site second. A person that brings a core group of people together that do the sport simply because they love it and the people. Not for atta boys, interweb fame, or to squeeze money. It would also help if they were stable enough as a person to let people raise a lil hell too. A well rounded cast of characters makes the movie exciting ya know.

Side note... Youngins are the life blood to anything... Don't hate on them... Include, and teach them

Latest posts